This guide takes you through creating your own Game Strips with GameMaker.
Game Strips are a feature of the Opera GX browser. They are a type of browser mod shown at the bottom of the start page.
Before you can start creating Game Strips you will need to install the following:
For information on the GX export, see Setting Up For Opera GX.
We will cover the following three steps to create a Game Strip:
- Create a Game Strip type project in GameMaker, and add content
- Create an executable for the GX.games target and Upload as Game Strip Mod
- Make further changes to your Game Strip's metadata and publish it on GX.create
Creating a Project
On The Start Page, create a new project of type Game Strip:
Add content to this project to build your Game Strip.
Keep in mind:
- The default Blank Game Strip template contains a single room sized 940x120. Your Game Strip must use these exact dimensions.
- We recommend keeping your Game Strip limited to mouse input (movement + single button input). Keyboard input is allowed but not recommended as it reduces the amount of devices where your Strip can be accessed.
Compiling and Uploading
Before compiling your game, select GX.games as your target platform:
To compile your game, go to Build > Create Executable. In the dialog that follows, confirm that you want to Upload as Game Strip Mod:
|IMPORTANT You should make sure to set a valid Game Name in the GX.games Game Options under Mod, as some characters are not supported.|
The upload progress is shown in a new dialog:
After the upload succeeds, you can further edit the new game strip by clicking Edit Mod on Opera.
Clicking Edit Mod on Opera opens the edit page of your newly created Game Strip, where you can edit its metadata:
After filling all the details, publish your newly created Game Strip by going to the Publishing tab and clicking Promote to public: