How much does it cost to use GameMaker?
GameMaker is absolutely free to download and keep forever for non-commercial use.
For commercial use or Console export, purchase a Professional license or our Enterprise Subscription.
What are the free limitations of GameMaker?
If you want to make money from your game, you need to buy GameMaker Professional for $99.99 (regional pricing applies, check the price in your area).
If you want to export to Console you need the Enterprise subscription.
Other than that, everything else is free and unlimited!
Does this change include the new GMRT (GameMaker Runtime)?
These new prices will cover both the GMS2 Runtime and the upcoming GMRT (GameMaker Runtime).
What about Education?
We now offer all exports free for non-commercial educational use. This includes Console! Note: You are required to have an Education account, see this page for more details.
What has changed with the Terms of Service?
We’re also simplifying the GameMaker Terms of Service. These will now come in two parts:
- The general usage Terms of Service for the IDE and associated services.
- The Runtime License associated with your purchase.
When you purchase a GameMaker Licence, we’ll send you a copy of the Runtime License you selected when you complete your transaction. This will also be available to download on our website.
Does GameMaker have a watermark?
Nope - whether you're on the Free tier, or one of our two paid tiers, GameMaker does not force a watermark or splash screen on your games.
If you fancy adding a splash screen or our logo somewhere, though, we'd be very grateful!
What happens if I bought an old version of GameMaker?
If you're currently paying for an old Creator or Indie tier, those subscriptions will not be renewed when your license expires. Once they expire, you may want to purchase a one-time Professional licence or sign up for an Enterprise subscription.
If you choose to buy a Professional licence, a discount will be applied based on how much you've previously paid to us in Subscriptions. The value of any GMS2 and GameMaker: Studio licenses do not count towards the discount.
Only funds that were paid to us will factor into this calculation, and any free months will not be included.
Here are a few USD examples of how this may apply:
- You've spent 5 months on our Creator Subscription, so you've paid us $24.95, this rounded up to the nearest 5% is 25% of the cost of GameMaker Professional. This would discount the $99.99 fee by 25% and you would pay $74.99, or equivalent in your chosen currency.
- If you've spent a year on our old Indie tier, you will automatically be granted a free Professional license.
- If you've spent two months on our Enterprise tier, you've paid us $158.98 in subscription fees. You will automatically be granted a free Professional license.
- If your Subscription purchase was made through Steam, please read and follow our Help Article
If you purchased a GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop/Web/Mobile permanent licence in the past then you are still welcome to release games commercially using the GMS2 runtime. When we release the new GMRT (GameMaker Runtime) it will be free for non-commercial use. If you wish to use it for a commercial release we ask that you purchase a Professional licence.
For more information, please contact our Helpdesk and we will be happy to help.